Let's see...
What else do I have to report... Well I never did get around to talking about my parent info night at Jackson's school last week. It was two hours long and I was pretty tired by the time I got home and my hunny and the kids were missing me so I didn't take the time to write it down while it was fresh in my head.
It's faded a little now but here are a few of the highlights. We sat in the gym for an hour while the grade teachers and the specialty teachers (music, languages, sports) gave some really fun presentations. For instance, the Japanese teacher, Mrs. Hayashi, spoke to us in Japanese and had us stand and repeat some things in order to demonstrate how she teaches our children. It was really fun and very effective! Konichiwa!
The head of school, Bob Snowden, gave a little speech and I realized it's him out there at the crosswalk holding the stop sign in front of the Junior school every Wednesday morning. I think that is SO cool. The other mornings it's Nancy Richards, director of the Junior school, out there greeting us and stopping cars.
After the presentations, some of which had everybody cracking up, we split up to go to our kids' classrooms. We all sat on tiny chairs in Mrs. Lincoln's room and listened for another hour about her program, what we can expect, how things have gone so far, etc. She had a folder full of things for us to read and when she was done we all wandered around the class looking at what the kids have been working on so far.
I wish I had brought my camera. There was a section on the wall where the kids each drew a picture of themself. When I saw Jackson's I laughed so hard that my eyes teared up ... I'm sure every parent there thought their child's drawing was very special but I swear there was something just altogether different about Jackson's. It had this intensity that I can't even describe. This little stick man with a crazy look in his eyes - I don't know when we'll get to have it at home, maybe not until the end of the year, but I will be sure to post it here when I can. I just loved it.
I left the evening feeling so up. I love that school and each of the teachers so clearly cares about what they are doing there. I couldn't be more pleased that Jackson is having this opportunity.
No comments:
Post a Comment